Bailieborough Library was grant aided by the Arts Council in 2006 to refurbish the upper level of the building as an exhibition and performance space, and to make the venue more accessible. It is one of the designated local authority venues on the Exhibitions Programme. For more information on the Exhibitions Submissions see the Awards & Opportunities section.
>> Click here to download Floor Plan 1.1
>> Click here to download Floor Plan 1.2
>> Click here to download Floor Plan 1.3
David Creedon, Hearth. Exhibited in 2008
Bailieborough Library is based in a restored Romanesque style Market House. Built in 1818 by Colonel Young, it is reminiscent of the Bailieborough's origins as a Plantation town and trading centre. The Market House replaced an older building, which stood in the middle of the Main Street between O'Reilly's and the National Irish Bank, built circa 1789. The upper room, which runs the whole length of the building was used for concerts, travelling cinema, theatrical performances and meetings.
Today it is still used for small community groupings and art activities. The ground floor was used for trading on market days and the town weighbridge was controlled from the building, weighing local produce e.g. oats, potatoes and turnips. Since the days of the market the building has served as a fruit canning factory and then lay dormant due to fire damage. In 1980, Bailieborough Co-Operative restored the building using it as a hardware shop. In 1988, it was bought by Cavan County Council which now houses an extensive library.
To find out about forthcoming events at Bailieborough Library T: 042 9665779 or email email@example.com